No fixtures for the 1XV, 3XV, or Colts. Good luck to the 2XV who are the only Senior team playing this weekend.
Saturday 23rd March
- 2XV v TRAFFORD MV 2XV
- KO 3pm
- Venue: Finney Bank Road, Sale.
- Report: Beautiful sunshine. Perfect Spring weather. A disappointing defeat. A very strong 2nd half and tries from Damola, Recce James and Will Parkinson were not enough to turn around a calamitous 1st half where Eccles conceded 26 points in a 26 minute period and suffered a yellow card.
- 01′ 0-5 Try Eccles. (Damola) With just 75 seconds played (fastest try of the season?) an intercepted pass on the halfway line gets Eccles off to a flying start with a score to the side of the posts; remarkably the conversion kick missed. 05’ 7-5 TMV respond straight away. Eccles forwards are guilty of wasting several good opportunities in advanced positions. Confusion reigns in the line out. The home team respond with a simple break and points from their winger – 17’ 12-5. It’s the turn of the Eccles backs to be embarrassed by an falling ball which they watch, allow to bounce and suffer the consequences 22’ 19-5. More errors from Eccles at the restart, with missed tackles through the middle resulting in more easy home points – 24’ 26-5. Eccles bring on replacements in an attempt to arrest the slide of a catastrophic 20 min lapse in focus. Eccles regain composure and press for points, the forwards make good ground in attack but the ball is ultimately squandered and the consequence is an Eccles Yellow Card (R James “too many penalties”). Everything appears to be going against Eccles, but they end the half camped out in TMV’s 22 and are halted by the whistle 10m from the line by another handling error. A frustrating half. HT 26-5.
- Eccles begin the second half with a better attitude and make a good start with a quick try (Damola) – the result of pressure at a 5m scrum leading to a defensive knock on, an Eccles scrum and a score under the sticks; simple stuff 45’ 26-12. A long period of penalties and several scrums loose Eccles momentum. From a TMV set piece centre pitch their 9 slips through and a score by the posts – 60’ 33-12. With sustained pressure Eccles retain play in the home team half for the final 20 minutes. From an attacking line out, drive, switch, Eccles winger Will Parkinson looks to be over in the left corner, the Ref brings the play back; quick penalty, Reece James bravely goes in for the line and an Eccles Try 78’ 33-19. Straight from the restart Eccles keep possession and with good work from Cammy Higginbottom on the right the ball is switched left across the park, Pete Heseltine breaks the line and centre Matt Parkinson rides a tackle to finish for another try at full-time 80’ 33-26.
- Table: SaleSharksDiv3North
- 2XV Form: WDWWWWLLLWWWWWWLLWWLL
- RESULT: 33-26 LOSS
- 4 Tries: Damola (2), Reece James, Matt Parkinson
- Conversions: Will Parkinson 2
Sunday 31st March
- U18 SENIOR COLTS v NORTHWICH
- Colts Senior Plate Semi Final was conceded by Northwich who were unable to raise a team. Home Walkover awarded. Eccles progress to the Colts Senior Plate Final to face Ormskirk (again) Sunday 5th May, at Heaton Moor RUFC.